Monday, December 29, 2014

Everybody Is OK

“Everybody is OK,” is usually one of those statements when something bad has happened but people think it breaks the ice to share that bit of information with you before they tell you what really happened.

It was a joyous cold, (by the way I used to love cold weather when I was younger.) Sunday morning and my youngest son Cole was being baptized. My family and friends came to share in this wonderful occasion. There is nothing more precious than when your child, even at a young age, comes to you and says, “Mommy, Jesus came into my heart.”

I 'll never forget that morning when he shared the news with me.  We were running late, as usual, and I was a hateful mess. Cole was sitting in the back seat and he began to ask me several questions, I replied with short snappy remarks, shame on me. Then he asked one question. It was that one thing he said that one thing that caused tears to run down my face and caused me to hit the breaks. He said, Mommy, Jesus came into my heart last night!”  Suddenly being late didn’t matter actually nothing mattered. It was that very moment that I realized nothing was as more valuable to me than to know that my son accepted God as his personal Savior. Tears streamed down my face first of joy and then of disgust, disgust to know that I was letting LIFE steal my everyday joy over things that really didn’t matter.

Having  3 boys and dragging them to church 3 times a week was never an easy feat but we did it and obviously, it had paid off. Meanwhile back to the beautiful, cold, sunny, Sunday morning. The baptism was over and people were making their way around to hug Cole and congratulate him and us. I was caught up in the moment when I felt a tap on the shoulder from my husband’s Aunt Mary. She said these words to me and I can almost see her mouth moving in slow motion as she said, “Everybody is ok, but Trent just drove your car into the church.” I felt this heaving in my stomach and I know that I lost all color in my face as I turned to my husband and said, “I can’t go out there, please go check it out. “ My knees were so wobbly and couldn't support my "way too high high-heels." I needed to brace myself on a pew for a moment while I gained the courage to walk outside.  Trent was only 11ish and what in the world was he doing driving my car?

Finally getting my nerve up to go outside there stood Trent, in his white button-down, with the look of fear on his face.  His lips were a faint pink and his skin, well let's say it made his white shirt look dingy he was so white. Everyone had gathered around and I heard things such as, “Wow, did you see that the car just darted like a jet.” “Oh my goodness what happened?” all the while Trent getting paler. I quickly made my way to Trent to see if he was ok and to ask what happened. He said, “I was just trying to warm the car up for Cole,” bless his heart he was being so thoughtful and kind, which made me hurt even more for him.  At that time we drove a WV Beetle, stick shift, which I left in gear, so when he took his foot off of the clutch the car shot like a rocket into the brick church post. One bystander said all he could see was Trent’s eyes big as saucers with both hands gripping the steering wheel, mouth wide open hanging on for dear life. (I can now chuckle about this). Of course, I was devastated, sick to my stomach, thankful that no one was hurt, and embarrassed for Trent. I will never forget that ride home. As we drove down the road, headlight hanging out, tears streaming down my face because as usual I was warring off other battles at that time in my life and this was just the icing on the cake. I remember looking back to Trent and telling him that I loved him and his reply,  with arms crossed, was, “I just want the police to come and get me.” He was devastated.

It is when we feel the greatest despair the very agony of defeat or humiliation that we want to retreat so that we cannot be seen, but where do you hide in such a small town or the backseat of a WV Beetle?

When we arrived home, Trent barricaded himself in his room refusing to come out. Then there was a knock at the door.  When I opened the door I was greeted with two of the sweetest smiling faces, Br. Harry and Sister Linda Frisby, my pastor and his wife. With open hearts and arms exploding with the love they sat on our couch and wanted to let Trent know that “EVERYTHING WAS OK”  Trent felt like being carted off by the police and they stopped everything and took time out immediately, not days later, but right after the very incident to extend love and acceptance.

Often times when people are faced with shame, humiliation, embarrassment or brokenness when is it that we offer or extend warm hearts and arms exploding with love to those in what they feel is their darkest moment? Is it at that very moment or days later or maybe never? 


Ephesians 4:2New International Version (NIV)
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Ephesians 4:32New International Version (NIV)
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Proverbs 10:12New International Version (NIV)
 Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Br. Harry and Linda did exactly what the scripture said. They, at a moment and time where they could have been worried about error or damage was only worried about reaching out to extend the LOVE that God commands us to give. They took advantage of an “accident” and turned it into an opportunity one I know Trent will never forget. The bricks were replaced the damage was fixed but more importantly they left a lasting impression on a young mans heart. Trent definitely left his mark on the church and was lovingly given the nickname CRASH.

The next time someone around you crashes, please don’t delay take advantage of the very opportunity to make a life long impression of love in someone’s life.  

    

No comments: